Thursday 2 January 2014

Hello 2014


So here it is, 2014! A new year, and new chapters in our lives awaiting. So, as usual, I had a little look over my goals from last year (New Year, New Start) and I'm a little disappointed.....

Firstly, my blog - 5 times a week was probably too ambitious. This year, I think 4 times will be my max, maybe not always the same days each week, more like when I feel like there's something to write about. 

Secondly, my derby goals. I managed to accomplish most of them, but my 180's are still far too slow. I would like to feel more confident on my skates by the end of 2014. I feel more confident than this time last year, so it's probably not a bad goal to aim for. 
At the ARRG bootcamp this year, I attended a little session about mental prep. After the last year in derby, I now understand how important this is. Part of this prep was to write down your goals for derby, a yearly one, and then goals with different time frames. For mine, I've decided that, by the end of 2014, I would like to be back on the FVRG jammer rotation. I had a terrible game against Wirral and was taken off jammer rotation in the 2nd half. I was devastated of course, not just for myself, but I felt like I'd let my team down. Awful feeling. And I didn't handle it well. It made me realise that I was letting derby become my life, not part of it that I enjoy, and I really was starting to lose the reasons to why I started skating in the first place. Not good. It knocked my confidence, then line ups didn't play me so much as jammer for other things and then there was more confidence knocking - a vicious circle that I'm removing myself from. I know I can be a better jammer, I just need to focus and work hard. So that shall be my goal for the end of 2014. 
In the next 6 months, I'd like to be back on the team. This means passing that god damn awful backwards skating (my calves hate it), but I'm determined. If there's one comment that always comes back to me from feedback, it's that I'm determined. 
My monthly goal is to get fitter. I've been resting due to a knee injury and my shoulder is getting physio, but I'm feeling a lot better and ready to get back into the swing of things. We've also had the festive season with lots of drink and too much food....
I think these are achievable goals. At least, I hope they are and that I'm not being a complete eejit. Guess we'll find out!


And then we get to my "life" list. Oh dear....
* Read at least one book a month
* Bake/Cook at least once a month
* Craft once at least once a month
* Start taking more photos!  Get out once a month and photograph landscapes.
* Keep up with the Fatmumslim photo a day challenges!
* Sell the house....
* New job
* Dye my hair a new colour
* Try sushi
* Try a ghost chilli
* Get a new tattoo

My book reading went majorly downhill. It got busier at work during the year and I didn't have as much time to read. So, instead of saying I'm going to read a book a month, I think I'll say that I'm going to read more at night. Maybe an hour before sleep. Might actually help my irratic sleep patterns, rather than sitting in front of the tv or computer.
My baking/cooking also went downhill. I cooked a lot of soup though....I have bought myself a little book though, where I can write down my recipes, so I'm hoping that encourages me some more.
I'm quite happy with how my crafting went last year. I'd already been doing cross stitch and playing with the perler beads, but I've also started embroidery and making jewellery. Who knows what new craft 2014 will bring :) 
Ah, photography.... :( I really have no excuse for this, aside from laziness. I definitely intend to start taking more photos this year and keep up with the FatMumSlim photo a day challenges. I've actually been looking into a new zoom lens.
As for the rest, I didn't sell my house (ugh), get a new job or new tattoo and I haven't tried a ghost chilli. However, I did dye my hair (pink of all colours!) and tried sushi. Yay? 


So, life goals for 2014? 
1) To be happy. Regardless of what life throws in my way. 
2) To see the best in each day. My "feel good" jar was emptied at the beginning of the year, time to fill it with more smiles.
3) To read more - nothing wrong with getting lost in a good book.
4) To be more sociable. I still have to work on my social anxiety, but after the New Year day skate (which I walked.....), I realise the only person missing out is me. Why would I deny myself fun with friends?
5) Watch at least one movie a month that I haven't seen before. 
6) Be more organised. I have an awesome diary, personal planner and about 100 note books along with my phone, I have no excuse to be disorganised!

Hopefully I won't be disappointed at myself this time next year :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment